Shalom hospital in Machakos was on Monday, May 6, 2019, shut down following the death of a baby who was overdosed on Sunday morning while being treated for minor scalding.
The Kenya medical practitioners and dentists board (KMDP)has withdrawn the hospital’s medical license forthwith while the Machakos government has canceled its business permit.
Governor Alfred Mutua and KMPDB chief executive, Daniel Yumbya gave the hospital up to 6.p.m. on Monday to clear the out-patient department and 24 hours to transit admitted patients to other institutions.
Mutua said the Machakos level 5 hospital and Kathiani level 4 facility was ready to admit them free of charge.
Baby Ethan Muendo, seven months, was administered with an overdose of morphine injection at the Machakos town hospital after suffering minor burns on his hand on Saturday night.
The baby’s mother, Juliana Mutheu informed the hospital that hot water from their dispenser had scalded the boy and she opted to seek medical treatment the following day after he developed a blister.
According to preliminary investigations, the boy was given twenty times the dose he required following a mix up in the administration from oral to muscular.
“The boy was prescribed 0.2ml orally but the hospital did not have the syrup so it was changed to 20mg injection instead of 1 mg, “Professor Fred Were, member of KMPDB said.
Morphine is in a class of drugs known as opiates and is used as the last line of analgesic commonly used by those suffering from excruciating pain brought by terminal illnesses like cancer or freak accidents.
The baby’s father, Jonathan Mutiso, a journalist with Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC) sat motionlessly throughout the meeting between KMDP officials and hospital staff as details emerged of how Ethan met his death in the hands of medics.
Earlier in the morning, Machakos based journalists demonstrated outside the hospital calling for its immediate closure as a result of gross negligence.
Shalom hospital was in the news two weeks ago when their Athi river branch was accused of gross negligence after a pregnant woman gave birth in the reception as nurses sipped tea and engaged in banter.
Mutua and KMDP personnel swiftly intervened and ordered a thorough audit of the private institution as six medical workers were arrested.
A comprehensive report is expected from the medical board on Friday pertaining to the Labor Day incident and subsequent action.